January 12, 2009

Anxiety, A Poem

Today I had a fit of anxiety that gripped me during class. I was freaked out. I was recently put on some medication for my ADD that is supposed to help me be able to concentrate. One of the side effects is anxiety. I don't know if I can deal with that. I already had a little anxiety before the medication, nothing I couldn't deal with, but now I have had several times where I really get stressed out and anxious. I have been able to talk myself down from these but I think that I am going to go to the health clinic on campus soon.

Anyways...I wrote a poem about the anxiety I was feeling (this was over the class period...)...it was really powerful at the time and helped me to calm down...so here goes...


Anxiety
Muscles tensing
Eyes lose focus
Worry ensues

My body folding
Fetal position
Arms hugging my knees
I remain fearful

Hope is lost
Not in sight
Deafening
Of my soul

Not hearing anything
Nothing speaking to it
No words penetrate it
Distress enveloping

I try
Making
Myself
Relax

Breathing slowly
In through the nose
Out through the mouth
Embracing calm

No comments: