July 12, 2009

conservative-ness...

I don't know if I have posted about this before but it is just something going through my mind right now...

A while back (when I was at my cousin's wedding [Bianca is my cousin and Patrick is her husband]) we were hanging out with her Patrick's family and I was having a conversation with Patrick's mom. Now i know I have written a blog before about how conservative my cousin is and how i got into an argument with her...but Patrick's mom is a bajillion times more conservative than her. Basically my whole family is extremely conservative...

Anyways, I was having a conversation with Patrick's mom and she was talking about a college that she is hoping one of her sons will apply to and attend. She mentioned how she believed this school did a good job of teaching kids how to think and not what to think. But then she went on to mention that it was a very conservative school and she also liked that it held very conservative values. I asked her how a school could be teaching you how to think and not what when they were teaching you to believe conservatively...I was slightly confused...she then looked at me like I was a little kid for not understanding how that worked and she dropped the conversation because she though I was being impertinent or something...

So back to how this sort of thing is on my mind today...well not specifically today...but just in the back of my mind lately...

I know that I am very conservative in many ways...mostly because of the way I was raised I believe...but being at the college I attend I am truly being taught "how to think and not what to think." I think that they do a great job of presenting ideas that are very controversial in the United States (and many other countries as well i believe) and giving us a chance to consider all sides of them and then decide what we believe. One example is homosexuality. I have gotten a chance to hear from gay students who attend my christian college...I have heard their stories and their struggles and have come out of it a changed person...I am not the same as I was in the begining of the school year...

ok...i am rambling...but it's just what is on my mind right now...



one last thing...i think my nose piercing is infected...i am not very happy about that...but i am off to take a shower and clean the piercing really well right now...and also clean the nose ring...and put it back in...hopefully that will help...I think that vacation and the really dry hair and dusty air was not good for the piercing...



gotta go hop in the shower...

Emily

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not checked your blog for a little while.

You seem quite... dare I say it... LIBERAL to me, Emmy!! ;D Sure, I guess on some issues you'll be pigeon-holed as conservative because of a few of your viewpoints resulting from your conservative upbringing (like I was), but it's clear you can think for yourself.

I'm just curious... No, I thought better of asking it.

Your uni isn't how I imagined an American, Christian university to be, if you can forgive me for even holding a stereotype in the first place... So I guess I was reminded of something by your blog today: generalisations are no way to form my views about individuals.

Really, so well done on not cutting. Argh, I failed today... So sick of the cutting routine now, it is just so tiresome. But still I do it. Mum bought some nice new knives recently, and various things have been overwhelming me. It's hard to put the cutting back in the box, lock it, then throw away the key. Maybe it's impossible... I remember watching an interview with someone who had had a eating disorder, and how although she'd recovered from it, it's always still there at the back of her mind. Gah.

I've got away with t-shirts, scars are not showing as much I thought. Just as well, cos we've had such hot, sticky weather here recently. It'll be long sleeves for several days now, though. Long sigh.

I'm going travelling soon, and I'm hoping that experience can be a key to better things. I feel at my wit's end; I should have stuck the therapy out, I've thought so hard about going back. My Mum would like me to, I know.

I'm flailing around like a fish out of water at the moment.

I hope that you start to find life without your best friend a bit more bearable ASAP, for what that's worth. It was cool in your other blog where you said how you'd typed it out whilst you were "heading south" in your car. It just evoked a cool image in my head, that's all.

I am a very selfish person, Emmy.